Friday, October 25, 2024

Western Adventure #20: Travel Day to...

Day 20-8/22/2024

It’s a travel day. Vince and I got ready to leave Hermosa and Heartland RV Park behind. I did get my walk in, ate breakfast, and did the last minute travel day things. Then we got on the road. After having the obligatory “where are we getting fuel?” discussion, getting stuck in a gas station, and finally making it to Sams for fuel, we got on the road. However, when I looked at Life360, I noticed that our cohorts were still at the campground. They were supposed to leave there and make it to Garryowen, MT. I phoned Linda to find out what was up. Her answer dismayed me. The Buskirks had accidentally flooded their RV and several systems had failed, from their slides to their jacks. They were stuck there for the rest of the day, and all of them had to book another night at Heartland RV Park.


Meanwhile, we were traveling down the road to Devils Tower. We got to the park and didn't even have to show our pass to get in.  Apparently, we were to show it when we left. But we got into our campground, Belle Fourche Campground, and found a good campsite. They are all pull-throughs, so we didn’t have to unhook the Jeep until we got there. Thankful! Belle Fourche Campground is a first-come-first-serve campground with no hookups. We call that boondocking. We will be here a couple of nights before meeting up with our group, hopefully in Cardwell, MT.




We did unhook the Jeep and drove up to the visitors center to get the lay of the land and to get our passport book stamped. We enjoyed the exhibits, substituting millions of years with thousands of years, of course. Much more reasonable in my opinion and according to the Scriptures about creation.





We were not allowed to have a fire, so we couldn’t get the charcoal going for burgers. So I had leftovers of corn and beans and rice. I fixed some fish to go in it and heated it all in the skillet and garnished it with cilantro and green onions and tomatoes. It was yummy! But I still have leftovers, so that will be tomorrow night’s meal as well.






We took a walk around the campground and over to the amphitheater after dinner. We have such an awesome view of the tower from our campsite. We tried to pick the best campsite with the best view, and I think we did a pretty good job. 


We had an update on the Buskirks. It looks like they'll be able to travel tomorrow. The group will have to travel two days in a row to catch up to their reservations. I'm thankful they made good progress today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Western Adventure #61, #62, & #63: Mississippi and Home...Until Next Time

Day 61–10/2/2024 It's time to travel to Starkville. We ate breakfast and got on the road by 8:30. We were back on I40 toward Memphis.  W...