Day 19-8/21/2024
After breakfast, Vince and I went back to Sylvan Lake to do the Sunday Gulch trail.
We got to the trailhead and got a little confused as to where it was to start. We ended up going clockwise around the loop trail. We were basically hiking beside the Needles Highway. It seemed like a moderate trail, but as we met and talked to several people along the way who were going counter-clockwise, they started talking about the rails. We didn't know what they were talking about, so we just kept hiking in the clockwise direction. Here are some of the pictures we took along the way.
We ate lunch beside a stream. It was so peaceful and lovely. There was interesting vegetation, a little waterfall, a pileated woodpecker, and really great rocks practically in the stream that we sat on to eat our lunch.
We got back on the trail. That’s when things started going south. I think I was getting dehydrated and started getting fatigued. I tried everything to cool off. We had to sit down quite a bit for me to rest. Then we got to the rails.
That’s when we knew that we should’ve gone the other way. It took us all day to do that hike.
When we got home, I didn’t want to do anything but rest and rehydrate. It was a beautiful trail. But if I had to do it all over again, I would’ve started at the gate and gone counter-clockwise, tackling the rails first. And I would've taken double the amount of water!
This is our last day in the Black Hills. Tomorrow, we break off from our group for a few nights to see something we've always wanted to see, but have never had an opportunity until now. But you'll have to wait until tomorrow for that story.
No comments:
Post a Comment