Monday, October 21, 2024

Western Adventure #16: Sturgis, Deadwood, and Spearfish

Day 16-8/18/2024

We watched Crosspoint Church (our home church) on David Craft’s TV outside. It was hot and sunny. We had to get umbrellas and hats in order not to burn up! Wesley Peden, our associate pastor, did a good job bringing the word this morning. I always enjoy his sermons. 


We loaded up and headed to Sturgis, Deadwood, and Spearfish today. First stop, Sturgis. It’s a great town if you love motorcycles and bars. It's a pilgrimage town for those who love and ride motorcycles.  There were places for RVs to plug in all over town. The population of the town swells significantly during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. When we got there, the rally had ended the weekend before. Yet there were still some RVs and motorcycles hanging around.


We found some $5 tshirts on clearance at this one shop. Vince and I picked out one for each for us. They both say Black Hills on them. 





A little glimpse of my Tennessee home
                            I'm trying to point to New Orleans, but again, I'm too short. πŸ˜†

After that we headed to Deadwood. It was a busy place! No restaurant appealed to the rest of the group to eat lunch, and Vince and I had already eaten. Instead, we decided to go to Spearfish and get some lunch. 


When we got to Spearfish, however, everything was closed because it was Sunday. So we headed back to Deadwood. Linda found a couple of choices of restaurants there. They chose a restaurant in town, but Vince and I still weren’t hungry because we ate at a normal time before we left the campground. While they ate lunch, we wandered around. Here are some scenes from Deadwood.



                        This was a brothel back in the day. Don't zoom in too much. πŸ˜‚ πŸ™ˆ




We went to see the chainsaw art down the street. We also stopped in a beef jerky shop and taste-tested their jerky and some of their peanuts. We bought some cinnamon peanuts. Very good! But so sweet, one can only eat a few. 


We stopped to get ice cream and the others joined us for ice cream. (Hey, don't judge! It was snack time! πŸ˜‚) We wandered around some of the shops, but I don't think we bought a thing. There are too many casinos in this town for my taste. 


PS: The ice cream was really good!! πŸ˜‹πŸ¦


No comments:

Post a Comment

Western Adventure #61, #62, & #63: Mississippi and Home...Until Next Time

Day 61–10/2/2024 It's time to travel to Starkville. We ate breakfast and got on the road by 8:30. We were back on I40 toward Memphis.  W...